1. Hey Guest !

Welcome to the new Higherside Forums. To start participating, you'll need a password for the system. You can get one established by clicking the "forgot password" link, and a URL to create one will be sent to your THC+ email. Your username should be the same, but these are now two independent systems. As a result, changes to your THC+ username/password will not be reflected in your THC Forum username and vise versa. Also, as a bonus, your ability to participate in the forums will continue beyond the life of your THC+ membership.

Enjoy the upgrade! Users can now make a full profile, start conversations (private messages) between each other, give and track likes, utilize trophies, conduct polls, write public statuses, comment on statuses of others, subscribe to forums, receive alerts, see latest activity, share media, and much more!
    Dismiss Notice

M.C. Escher: His visionary works

Discussion in 'The Case For...' started by enjoypolo, Oct 27, 2019.

1. enjoypolo

enjoypolo Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Self-portrait,1929

Yesterday, I visited the M.C. Escher museum in the Hague and thought I'd share some pictures that highlights his visionary work.

Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898-1972), known as M.C. Escher, was a Dutch artist now famous for his woodworks and lithographies, but who was actually ignored for most of his life. Escher was a true master of tricking the senses, so to speak, by experimenting with multiple-perspectives, and fractals (tessellations) with mathematical precision.

As someone who is in awe of the fractal, holography of Nature in/of the Universe, I can't help but realize that Escher was a visionary ahead of his time, and although the pictures below are not necessarily some of his most famous ones, they resonate with all that is fractal, toroidal and vortexes.

One that is well-famous but that I haven't included here is/are his Metamorphosis (there's two I believe), a 4-meter-long work that depicts an evolution, or rather, a Dance of Life, presented on a circular wheel (so that you literally walk around it to experience it). It's pretty cool, but it's also available online.

Here is an interactive version you can experience, with a bit of his personal background narrated

PS: A quote I read from the latest Water Conference fits Escher's character like a glove:
    “Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought.” – Albert Szent-Györgyi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 enjoypolo, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    sirujux likes this.