1. Hey Guest !

Welcome to the new Higherside Forums. To start participating, you'll need a password for the system. You can get one established by clicking the "forgot password" link, and a URL to create one will be sent to your THC+ email. Your username should be the same, but these are now two independent systems. As a result, changes to your THC+ username/password will not be reflected in your THC Forum username and vise versa. Also, as a bonus, your ability to participate in the forums will continue beyond the life of your THC+ membership.

Enjoy the upgrade! Users can now make a full profile, start conversations (private messages) between each other, give and track likes, utilize trophies, conduct polls, write public statuses, comment on statuses of others, subscribe to forums, receive alerts, see latest activity, share media, and much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Bullshit Jobs

Discussion in 'The Case For...' started by shamangineer, Feb 7, 2019.

1. shamangineer

shamangineer Well-Known Member

This video points out that the popularity of The Office is tied to the rise of bullshit jobs:

2 people like this.
  2. shamangineer

I think one reason why his stuff resonates is that due to the rise in bullshit jobs and corporate culture the total bullshit reserves are running at an all-time high. This leads to knock on bullshit in roles that have real functional aspects. Since shit flows downhill they become inundated with the bullshit decisions and most of their job becomes an effort in telling people what they want to hear. Coping with having terrible decision after terrible decision made about how you are to do your work means most people have to BS to one degree or another to keep their jobs. In this way many people end up becoming BS vendors even when they are tasked with objective work.

sirujux and (deleted member) like this.
  3. shamangineer

From the mouth of Trussell:

#23 shamangineer, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  4. shamangineer

Well with regard to my job I seem to have been cleared, but without closure. I am working in collaboration with the automation group at work with me likely being able to join them in a few months if I want to. I haven't had my review from last year closed or any back-pay for a raise as promised. I'll let that drag out a little longer until it is completely ridiculous before bringing it up. The hopes is they will be so embarrassed they will give me a decent raise to keep their pathetic negligence on the DL. Right now they seem to just hope ignoring things will mean they won't have to address anything or pay me. Typical corporate crap.

1 person likes this.
  5. theimpervious

theimpervious New Member

Stay vigilant, brother! From experience, personal advocacy is the way to truly get what you want. If they don't value your contributions and prefer you keep quiet, take every possible opportunity to advertise what it is that you've done/are doing to further the enterprise. Sure some tact is required, but it seems like you're playing into their hand by laying low and allowing them to believe no corrective action is necessary. Of course the rotating door of corporate middle management could present a regime change and a more favorable opportunity to revisit the topic.

Side note, I've also found Tarot especially effective and insightful when consulting on professional matters lately.

1 person likes this.